Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson and chief public health officer Dr. Brent Roussin announced new COVID-19 restrictions on Monday amid a surge of cases in the province due to the Omicron variant. Roussin said starting Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. gatherings in public spaces must not exceed 50 per cent capacity or 250 people, whichever is less. Those under the new restrictions include restaurants, licenced premises, food courts, movie theatres, concert halls and performing art venues among others. Roussin added that all attendees need to be fully vaccinated or under the age of 12.
In addition, liquor sales in restaurants and licensed premises must end at 10 p.m. daily.
“Over the last week, case numbers have increased sharply, and we must again take steps to reduce the spread of the virus to help protect Manitoba’s health-care system,” said Stefanson. “As we approach the new year – a time that is usually filled with celebration – we are urging Manitobans to limit your close contacts at this crucial time in our fight against COVID-19.”
The public health orders are in place until at least January 11.
Last week, the province’s latest pandemic rules came into place, with private indoor gatherings having been limited to members of a household plus 10 people, if everyone 12 and older were vaccinated. Outdoor gatherings on private property also saw limits to the household plus 20 people imposed, with the limit reduced to 10 if not everyone 12 and older was fully vaccinated.
For more info, please go to
Subscribe to Global News Channel HERE:
Like Global News on Facebook HERE:
Follow Global News on Twitter HERE:
Follow Global News on Instagram HERE:
#GlobalNews #COVID19 #Coronavirus